- Bruern Abbey 1147-1536
- To the ‘Lee’ of the Walkers
- William Smith, Clock maker of Milton under Wychwood
- The Society’s Fieldwalk Programme – The Final Report
- The Shipton Tillyards
Introduction to The Wychwoods Local History Society Journal No 22
Journal 22 sees two subjects, both of which have been long in the gestation, reaching the reporting stage: Bruern Abbey and the Society’s fieldwalking.
The grandparents of Joy Timms lived at Bruern Grange for the first half of the twentieth century and Joy was captivated by the history of the Cistercian abbey and its occupation for over 400 years by the white monks. Little of the Abbey now remains but after many years of documentary research it is possible to build up a picture of the lives of the men who lived there. In the second part of the article Joan Howard-Drake tells the story of the dissolution of the Abbey and its tenants and possessions at the time.
Margaret and Frank Ware with their interest in archaeology have led the Society’s fieldwalking group for many years. Now, with a good sample of fields walked and the practical part finished, Margaret records the coordinated results. Margaret’s article on the flints collected is an important contribution to archaeology of West Oxfordshire. The pottery finds will be covered in the next Journal.
As always it’s the people of the Wychwoods and their lives which are so worth researching and recording. Small factories making cash tills in Shipton produced an enormous number of products for 50 years in the twentieth century and interviews with some of those who worked in the yards are the basis of Alan Vicker’s history.
In a much earlier time other useful items were made in Milton, simple long case clocks, made by William Smith, a Quaker. A number of his clocks still survive from the late eighteenth century.
Trudy Yates tells how a visit to Shipton graveyard brought to light another family connected to the Walkers of Shipton Court whose story was told in Wychwoods History 21. As always we are pleased to receive articles for inclusion in future editions of Wychwoods History.
Sue Jourdan, Trudy Yates and Joan-Howard-Drake
[ Download Full Journal No 22 PDF here]
Full Archive of Journals – Contents, Introductions and PDF Downloads
[ No 1 ] [ No 2 ] [ No 3 ] [ No 4 ] [ No 5 ] [ No 6 ] [ No 7 ] [ No 8 ]
[ No 9 ] [ No 10] [ No 11 ] [ No 12 ] [ No 13 ] [ No 14 ] [ No 15 ] [ No 16 ]
[ No 17 ] [ No 18] [ No 19 ] [ No 20 ] [ No 21 ] [ No 22 ] [ No 23 ] [ No 24 ]
[ No 25 ] [ No 26 ] [ No 27 ] [ No 28] [ No 29 ] [ No 30 ] [ No 31 ] [ Journals Home ]