… from the Wychwoods Albums Archive
The Reade family of Shipton Court owned most of the village during the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries but the line died out in 1868 and the estate was sold in 1900. The building of the Court was completed in about 1603 and was described on its sale in 1913 as ‘a perfect specimen of the Elizabethan period’. From without it remains largely unaltered (1985) but the interior was extensively remodelled in 1903 for W. F. Pepper of Leeds.
This view of the south side shows the formal gardens of Shipton Court in 1910.
Across the main road in front of the house is the Pleasure Ground or The Pleasance, with lakes, canals and woodland walks.
The avenue of lime trees in the Court Pleasure Garden, where villagers took their Sunday evening promenade, has been the site of many celebrations. The organiser of these celebrations for Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee, John Maddox, is standing in the foreground. In addition to this dinner there were various sporting events.
One of the gardeners stands inside a heated glasshouse, perhaps in the Court kitchen garden, now Court Close.
Wychwoods Album Menu
This is one of series of snapshots taken from the Society’s publications “The Wychwoods Albums”. These publications from the mid to late 1980s feature a variety of images of the Wychwoods, all of which deserve a place in our expanding online archive.
The Shaven Crown | Shipton Village Panorama | Shipton Post Office 1908/10 | Shipton Views Early 1900s | Aspects of Milton 1900s-1930s| Milton & Shipton Churches | Early 20th Century School Life | Shipton Court in 1895-1910 | Road and Rail | Matthews Mill, Shipton | Alfred Groves – a Historic Family Business | Vintage Transport and Deliveries | Agriculture and Manufacturing | Some Local Wychwoods Characters| Wychwoods Group Activities| Wychwoods Album Home