… from the Wychwoods Albums Archive
This unfamiliar view of the church is taken from the east before the building of the vicarage in 1898. The relative newness of the building is accentuated by the lack of mature trees which are such a feature of the site today.
The church and lychgate, together with the school and teacher’s house, were designed by G. E. Street and built in 1853-4 in the then popular Gothic style. James Haughton Langston MP of Sarsden helped to finance the scheme to provide the village with its own church. Until then Milton was part of Shipton parish although it did have Baptist, Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan chapels, as there is a strong history of non-conformity in the area.
The present church is mainly twelfth century although it is believed to have been built on the site of a Saxon minster church. The original parish consisted of Shipton, Milton, Bruern, Lyneham, Leafield, Ramsden and Langley.
This photograph was taken by Henry Taunt of Oxford, probably on his first visit to the area in 1880.
Wychwoods Album Menu
This is one of series of snapshots taken from the Society’s publications “The Wychwoods Albums”. These publications from the mid to late 1980s feature a variety of images of the Wychwoods, all of which deserve a place in our expanding online archive.
The Shaven Crown | Shipton Village Panorama | Shipton Post Office 1908/10 | Shipton Views Early 1900s | Aspects of Milton 1900s-1930s| Milton & Shipton Churches | Early 20th Century School Life | Shipton Court in 1895-1910 | Road and Rail | Matthews Mill, Shipton | Alfred Groves – a Historic Family Business | Vintage Transport and Deliveries | Agriculture and Manufacturing | Some Local Wychwoods Characters| Wychwoods Group Activities| Wychwoods Album Home