… from the Wychwoods Albums Archive
The Crown (now the Shaven Crown) and the Red Horse were the two old inns of Shipton. In 1578 the Crown Inn Charity was set up. Rent from letting the building was to be used for the upkeep of Shipton Bridge and Stokers Bridge, Milton, with any surplus to benefit the village. The property was sold by the trustees in 1930 but the Trust continued until combined with the Shipton United Charities in 1969.
The Crown has been an important meeting place over the centuries – the Vestry meetings (forerunners of the parish council) were always held there. The Crown Inn Friendly Society was founded in 1860 for ‘the mutual relief and maintenance of the members in sickness and infirmity.’ Their activities included a Club Day with its church parade and feast.
A comprehensive building record of the Shaven Crown is available here. It is an in-depth study of the building, and features many images past and present of its fabric over time. The report has been prepared by member(s) of the Oxfordshire Buildings Record, a voluntary organisation whose objectives are to advance education and promote research on the buildings of Oxfordshire.
Wychwoods Album Menu
This is one of series of snapshots taken from the Society’s publications “The Wychwoods Albums”. These publications from the mid to late 1980s feature a variety of images of the Wychwoods, all of which deserve a place in our expanding online archive.
The Shaven Crown | Shipton Village Panorama | Shipton Post Office 1908/10 | Shipton Views Early 1900s | Aspects of Milton 1900s-1930s| Milton & Shipton Churches | Early 20th Century School Life | Shipton Court in 1895-1910 | Road and Rail | Matthews Mill, Shipton | Alfred Groves – a Historic Family Business | Vintage Transport and Deliveries | Agriculture and Manufacturing | Some Local Wychwoods Characters| Wychwoods Group Activities| Wychwoods Album Home