As our website visitors know, the Wychwoods Local History Society have recently acquired a long-term home for the Society’s archive thanks to Alfred Groves & Sons. In the process of cataloguing this material we are unearthing several little-known snippets of Wychwoods history.
One example came to light recently. This poster advertises the sale of a property on the Shipton Road in 1902. It was once apparently the “Parish Room”. We are mystified as to exactly which property this was.
There are not so many properties on Shipton Road facing the Village Green (which was more extensive in 1902 than it is today), and we can exclude some buildings such as Hillborough House, the former Primitive Methodist Chapel, and The Elms and Elm Cottage (Groves Yard).
Here we have an extract from an OS map dating from 1881 which shows the buildings opposite the Green that were in existence at that time, (highlighted with a red dot). But which was the parish room?
Any ideas or handed down memories would be much appreciated. Please use the comments box below, or visit “Memories of the Wychwoods” on Facebook.