… from the Wychwoods Albums Archive
St Michael’s was originally built as a ‘college for young ladies’ in the early 1880s, but it was acquired by the Church of England Society for Waifs and Strays in 1899 for girls ‘rescued from immoral surroundings’. In the 1920s the residents changed to being girls who were orphans or from motherless families with boys cared for too after 1931. By 1933 the home had closed and was thereafter used at various times to house Basque refugees, British and American servicemen, as a corn chandlery and as a warehouse. It was also proposed to use it as a Wychwood Social Centre. In the 1960s it became a junk shop and in 1989 it was demolished to make way for houses.
The girls were given three hours schooling and four to six hours ‘industrial’ training each day, to prepare them for their anticipated life in domestic service or industry.
‘A most delightful garden Party on the Society’s behalf at Bruern Abbey in July by Mrs Samuda who, in her usual indefatigable manner arranged everything to the best advantage. Princess Victoria of Schleswig-Holstein came down from London … and in the morning paid a visit to the local home … where she received a hearty welcome … It proved to be quite a ‘red letter’ day’ … (From the monthly magazine Our Waifs and Strays).
This is one of series of snapshots taken from the Society’s publications “The Wychwoods Albums”. These publications from the mid to late 1980s feature a variety of images of the Wychwoods, all of which deserve a place in our expanding online archive.
WW1 Wychwoods Military | WW1 Wychwoods Memorabilia | Shipton WW1 Miscellany | St Michael’s Shipton Early 1900s | Early Prebendal Scenes| Shipton Court 1930s | Milton Scenes Early 1900s | Milton Social Activities | Farming Activities and People | Ascott Early 1900s | Leafield 1900s – 1930s | Fifield Residents Early 1900s | Idbury Early 1900s | Lyneham Miscellany| WW2 Evacuees | WW2 Wychwoods Home Front| WW2 Victory Celebrations|The First Wychwood Album