… from the Wychwoods Albums Archive
This panoramic view of Shipton village was taken when restoration was carried out on the church tower and spire. The row of old cottages built ‘on the waste’ (in the foreground), was pulled down shortly afterwards.
Church Street on the left (referred to as Main Street in one set of deeds) was once a small business area with a baker, blacksmith, police house, shop and lodging house.
The house with the two bay windows was Hambidges tea and coffee shop in the eighteenth century. Later, it is remembered as the place where people took their Sunday joint to be roasted in the baker’s oven. The semi-detached three-storey houses to the right of the Crown Inn are built on the site of the Shipton workhouse. Miss Barter, sister of the vicar, ran a school in part of the building.
In the background, showing against the trees of the Court Walk and Pleasure Grounds, are Shipton Court on the left and Shipton Lodge on the right.
Wychwoods Album Menu
This is one of series of snapshots taken from the Society’s publications “The Wychwoods Albums”. These publications from the mid to late 1980s feature a variety of images of the Wychwoods, all of which deserve a place in our expanding online archive.
The Shaven Crown | Shipton Village Panorama | Shipton Post Office 1908/10 | Shipton Views Early 1900s | Aspects of Milton 1900s-1930s| Milton & Shipton Churches | Early 20th Century School Life | Shipton Court in 1895-1910 | Road and Rail | Matthews Mill, Shipton | Alfred Groves – a Historic Family Business | Vintage Transport and Deliveries | Agriculture and Manufacturing | Some Local Wychwoods Characters| Wychwoods Group Activities| Wychwoods Album Home