… from the Wychwoods Albums Archive
After Milton became a separate parish, services were held by the vicar of Milton in Lyneham School Room. In 1907, Rev. D. H. W. Horlock conceived the idea of erecting an Iron Church and it was opened and dedicated to St Michael and All Angels on 24 September that year. Similar in style to the building on the south side of Fiddlers Hill in Shipton, which was described in Kelly’s Directory 1931 as ‘a small church mission room of corrugated iron’, it was last used for services in October 1972 and was demolished shortly after.
Albert Henman standing wearing a boater with his son William (Jack) sitting on a knee in front of a threshing machine. Albert came to Lyneham Farm at the beginning of the century. Jack took over from him and then Peter, Jack’s son, continued farming until 1988. Half of the farm is now being made into a golf course.
The Ladies of Lyneham dressed for the fancy dress parade which took place as part of the Coronation celebrations.
This is one of series of snapshots taken from the Society’s publications “The Wychwoods Albums”. These publications from the mid to late 1980s feature a variety of images of the Wychwoods, all of which deserve a place in our expanding online archive.
WW1 Wychwoods Military | WW1 Wychwoods Memorabilia | Shipton WW1 Miscellany | St Michael’s Shipton Early 1900s | Early Prebendal Scenes| Shipton Court 1930s | Milton Scenes Early 1900s | Milton Social Activities | Farming Activities and People | Ascott Early 1900s | Leafield 1900s – 1930s | Fifield Residents Early 1900s | Idbury Early 1900s | Lyneham Miscellany| WW2 Evacuees | WW2 Wychwoods Home Front| WW2 Victory Celebrations|The First Wychwood Album